Turkish firms cancel US iPhone orders as trade war intensifies

Turkey’s biggest mobile phone importing companies have cancelled their iPhone orders as Turkish citizens join a move to boycott US products.

A significant number of importers began to withdraw their short and long-term orders after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s appeal to boycott American electronic products on Tuesday, reports Hurriyet Daily.

Three big companies operating in Dogubank, a trade centre specializing in the sales of electronic products in central Istanbul, suspended $50 million worth of iPhone orders, the Turkish daily said.

According to the traders, the buyers in Anatolia also cancelled their contracts for the purchase of iPhone models.

“The demands were cut like a knife. We have put local brands on the shelf and removed iPhones,” a mobile phone shop owner was quoted as saying.

Turkish citizens are joining the US boycott.

“I am one hundred per cent behind the boycott appeal,” Ozgur Altinbas, 24-year-old student told Xinua

Nearly 10 million people use US’ iPhones in Turkey, press reports said, adding that the amount paid for the products hit $7 billion in 10 years.

Last week, the US doubled steel and aluminium tariffs on Turkey over its continued detention of US pastor Andrew Brunson. In return, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan signed a decree to raise tariffs on American imports including cars, alcohol, and tobacco.

6 thoughts on “Turkish firms cancel US iPhone orders as trade war intensifies

Leave a Reply

Top