An estimated 16 million people across the globe speak Somali. It’s the official language of Somalia and a national language in Djibouti. It is also a working language in the Somali region of Ethiopia.
Here are five other key facts you need to know about the language :
1. Somali is a member of the Afro-Asiatic language family.
2. The language has been influenced linguistically by Arabic, Italian and English.
3. The Somali language is written officially with the Latin alphabet.
4. Historians regard Somali as the best-documented Cushitic language.
5. The Somali language has three varieties: Northern, Benadir and Maay.